Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year...New recipes...

So tonight I made turkey meatloaf for tomorrow night's dinner. Yes, sounds strange, but I do this often, so I can accomplish other things on my "to do" list, the next day, like exercise, clean up, pay bills, read, crochet, or go on Facebook! ha!

My usual "go to" recipe is the Glazed Meatloaf from America's Test Kitchen. I ♥♥♥ that show. I have tried many recipes from that show and each time, every single one has come out delicious! I couldn't find my printed recipe for Glazed Meatloaf and when I tried to access it online, I was prompted to sign up for a 14-day trial and input a credit card? What the? Uhhh...I don't think so. I mean, it's good and all, but totally not worth inputing my credit card for!

So, I "googled" glazed meatloaf and wished for the food gods to shine upon me! And boy, oh boy, did they! I was led to Allrecipes.com (which btw is one of my fave go to recipe websites) and stumbled upon Glazed Meatloaf I. All my additions/substitutions are in RED.


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar (I only used about 3tbsp)
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
  • 1 teaspoon mustard powder (I used bottled spicy brown mustard)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 pounds ground beef (I used 1.25lb Jennie - O ground turkey)
  • 3 slices bread, broken up into small pieces (I used one cup Panko)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion (I sauteed one whole chopped onion in butter & olive oil until caramelized)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 grated carrot
  • 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules (I didn't have any so I omitted)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a small bowl saucepan, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and mustard powder (and half of caramelized onions.)
  3. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 min. If mixture is still too thick add a bit more water.
  4. In a separate large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread, onion, egg, bouillon, remaining lemon juice and caramelized onions and 1/3 of the ketchup mixture from the small bowl saucepan. Mix this well and place in a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
  5.  I like to shape mine into an even loaf on a cookie sheet pan. To drain excess fat while it is cooking, on top of my cookie sheet, I place a cooling rack covered with foil, puncture slits in the foil and then shape the loaf on the area where the slits are. All the excess fat will drip onto the cookie sheet below.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour (30-40 min for 1lb meat), drain any excess fat, coat with remaining ketchup mixture and bake broil for 10 more minutes.

Ok, so I totally hijacked this recipe, but it's still pretty similar to the original right?! Well, let me tell you, that bit of lemon juice makes ALL the difference! I took one bite of this meatloaf and knew I had to blog about it TONIGHT! It had me at hello...

You can see the bits of grated carrots and caramelized onions throughout the meatloaf. Try this recipe today...and let me know how yours turns out!

I think I like sharing my hijacked recipes...this might have to be one of my new blogging things for 2011!

Happy Cooking♥♥,
The Mariano Project

No comments:

Post a Comment