Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Painting Stripes...

I love the blog YoungHouseLove.com. I don't remember how I stumbled upon it, but when I did, I was hooked. Basically, its about a young couple who bought a house, got married, fixed up their new house and blogged about it. Their tutorials are very detailed and easy to follow and their home is cute as a button!

When I saw the stripes that they painted in their bathroom, I was sold. I LOVE stripes. I wear stripes at least once a week. I am drawn to stripes on dresses, shirts, socks, prints, underwear...you get the point.

The entire project took me and the hubby 1 day. Our walls were already Swiss Coffee, so we went two shades darker with Behr Sandstone Cove in a semi-gloss.We followed their tutorial, with the exception of removing the tape after the second coat. We have textured drywall, so no matter what, we wouldn't be able to get a perfect line. After removing the tape, we went in and touched up the lines with a fine artists brush. Tedious, but oddly relaxing at the same time!


After painting the bathroom, we decided the standard oval shaped mirror that came with the house wouldn't do justice to our newly painted stripes. So, we were off to Home Depot and found a white framed mirror for $60!

When it came to what art work we would use in the bathroom, I went through my portfolio of black and white photos I had developed a few years ago, and decided to use a solo picture of my Shih tzu, Miyagi (RIP). Jay & I have been contemplating for awhile if we should get a dog, but are still on the fence about it, so we decided to do a dog-themed bathroom, to get our fix!

For the frames I painted them all in Swiss Coffee with the exception of one. I bought some scrapbook paper from Michael's to use as the background and printed out the silhouette of the Pug and Boston terrier online, cut them out, and pasted them to the paper. And oh...that succulent, is actually fake! Since I don't have any windows in that bathroom a real plant wouldn't thrive in such a dark space.

And lastly, this is a wedding card I had originally bought to give to a couple, but decided to keep, since I loved it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment