Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baby Blues

Last month, I started working on a baby blanket for our friends Jordan and Nou who are expecting in December. I told myself I could work on this leisurely since I had a few months until their little bambino was born. Being that they live in Seattle, I was planning on mailing it out in a care package to them in early December.

Imagine my surprise, when the hubby informed me that Jordan had called him and said his family was throwing them a surprise baby shower in a week! What!? Are you serious?!

Well, of course we were going to go! This was their last trip to the Bay Area before the baby was born.

So day and night, I worked like a mouse sewing Cinderella's dress, to get this blanket finished in time!

I felt like I was on Project Runway, crocheting my tail off to "Make it Work!".

In the end I was quite pleased with myself and the outcome of the blanket that I completed in ONE week!

Here is the blanket. I used Attic24's crochet Neat Ripple Pattern. I found her pattern to be the easiest and most consistent out of 3 different patterns I tried.

I wanted to give the blanket a Missoni-esque vibe, so I deviated a bit away from Attic24's pattern. Instead of doing 2 consistent rows of each color, I did the following:

2 rows Soft blue
2 rows Ocean
1 row each of grey heather, white, soft blue, grey heather
2 rows Ocean
2 rows Soft blue
2 rows white
Repeat row 1 grey heather, white, soft blue, grey heather
2 rows white
Repeat from beginning

I used Caron Simply Soft yarn.


I added a gray single crochet around the entire blanket. My edges didn't turn out quite as straight as I hoped!

The single crochet gave me an even surface to add my basic shell edging to the blanket.


And here is the finished blanket!! I hope this baby afghan will bring lots of love and warmth during the cold Seattle winter!

We can't wait to meet your new bambino in December!

XOXO,
The Mariano Project

No comments:

Post a Comment